Wednesday, September 8, 2010

so what paul dempsy?

So blogosphere, I've been a pretty crap blogger of late. Yes, my eleven followers, I'm terribly sorry to keep you in the lurch. So what do I have to offer you? Tales of my thrilling life? Stories of a poor University student, struggling to indulge myself in the latest fashions because I'm transitioning between part time jobs?

No friends, I have something with a much deeper meaning that I'm sure you'll appreciate far more then the rants of a spiteful 20 year old with a chip on my shoulder because assignments are sucking the life out of me.

Paul Dempsy fans beware. Yes, let's all take a moment to appreciate the hypnotic melodic sweet mellow sounds of his raspy tones. There is no denying this man is a lyrical messiah. On a completely unrelated side note, he's enormous - I met him once when I was 18 and I ogled him like a small fat child ogles the reminents of their yogo cup. I had no shame when I walked up to him, craned my neck just so I could see the bottom of his chin and asked him why Something for Kate weren't doing anything. The conversation went a little like this:

Georgia: Paul, I didn't think you would be so tall in person!

Paul: Er, Thanks, and you are?

Georgia: Oh sorry Paul, I'm Georgia and a huge fan of yours, what have you been up to lately?

Paul: Well actually I'm doing some solo recordings, not sure where it's going but hopefully I'll have something out by next year

Georgia: How exciting...

*awkward silence ensues*

Georgia: Well lovely chatting you Paul...

Two years later and I still haven't heard the end of Paul Dempsy's solo career. Thankfully in music news, Dempsy is writing in New York for the new Something for Kate album. No confirmation yet as to when the album will be recorded but this is quite exciting, given Dempsy's solo album was indeed successful however repetitive. I love supporting Australian music as much as the next person but one criticism I have of Triple J was the overplay of Dempsy's album 'Everything is True'. This isn't a criticism of Dempsy, simply the hype of an album I personally deem to be alright (apologies, I couldn't think of a better word).

I'll leave you with my all time favourite SFK song which formed the basis for my love of indie music as an eleven year old. From the album 'Echolalia' in 2001, here's 'Monster'.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Georgia,

    You were a totally sophisticated eleven year old. When I was that age all I loved was Pokemon and Zappos.

    Sincerely yours,
    JB

    ps. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie I share wholly in your love of Pauly (cant a girl fain closeness to someone so beautiful in order to feel better about herself?). I have often DREAMED of coming as close to the man as you did. Never fear however, I have a plan:

    Im thinking, we turn up at his next gig with shirts, placards and possibly (tell me if this is too much) fake henna tattoos of his name on our foreheads?

    Or, as will probably be the case, I will continue admiring him and his voice from afar whilst secretly hating you for meeting the man I love.

    Anyway, Im thinking 11 followers is not enough and lets bump that shit up to 12.
    see you at my party this w.e for a little dempsey?
    x x x

    ReplyDelete