Friday, May 21, 2010

like music to my ears


On my ever expanding list of obsessions music is definitely neck and neck with fashion. I've been meaning to rant and rave about the new release from Kele, lead singer of Bloc Party. Now I am a HUGE fan of Bloc Party, I've seen them live, have all the albums, I've MET Kele himself, yes, and I've also made several mixed best of Bloc Party CDs for my friends - who all looked at me funny when I bounced around with stacks of CDs, throwing them away like candy - since I first became obsessed with them as a young 15 year old. This band literally sings my feelings. (I'm kidding, they're great and everything but I mean who says a band sings their feelings?....)

SO after my enormous tangent, lets talk about Kele. I mean honestly, what a babe right? Just to clarify, the urban dictionary defines 'babe' as 'a girl or guy who is easy on the eyes, talented, and good looking, overall just very sexy.' Well for a gay black dude I think he is.

Onto his latest release - I didn't appreciate it at first, I should have being an original Bloc Party lover, but I couldn't get a grasp on the transition from the old rock-psychadelic-house type music Bloc Party epically delivers to Kele's new plain old house music style. I replayed the song 'Tenderoni' several times to try and see what he was getting at. It was definitely a step away from traditional BP sounds but the more I listened the more I just couldn't get the sound of that synthesizer out of my head. For any critics of this God of a man - shame on you. This sound was at first a little reminiscent of Cut Copy or hey even New Young Pony Club but I think once I allowed myself to embrace Kele's foray into the solo world of music, I instantaneously fell for his new sound. It's different - not better - but still awesome in comparison to old Bloc Party. Can't wait to get my hands on the new album.


No comments:

Post a Comment