Monday, May 31, 2010

gail fail

Do you remember what it was like that first time you ever set eyes upon Gail Sorronda? Those never been done before, bold shapes with outlandish silhouettes we were so desperately missing in the world of black and white, the blend of fabrics, the lycra, the silk and my god - those head pieces.

I was in wardrobe heaven when I first walked into her Brisbane store back in 2008 and since my first step into that store, a certain fascination overwhelmed me. I knew then of course that Gail was set for big things, she was already being catapulted into international acclaim. So here is my beef, and I LOVE Gail - lord knows I wish I could afford even a sliver of fabric from one of her designs - but I want to see something else. Is it too bold for me to say that the black and white palette is becoming old? I don't claim to be an expert on fashion, I'm simply a hungry consumer and avid admirer however when a designer like Gail Reed comes into my life and shows me that there are dresses in this world that are worth three months of my pay and social life, I want to see more.

Her collections are what I would call consistently good. However, I hate to say that consistency doesn't always produce greatness. I daresay Gail is playing it safe.





No comments:

Post a Comment