Friday, September 4, 2009

childhood flash back


As I read Tavi's latest blog (I won't lie, she's probs my number one) I noticed she posted something on Where the Wild Things Are. It's a new movie coming out by Spike Jonze which was taken off the 1960's childrens book and much like Tavi, I too am frothing over this movie. Not to mention the Arcade Fire took care of the soundtrack for the movie so I guess this post isn't too far off my usual topics.


It got me to thinking that there were so many imaginative, creative, wonderful, explorative, hypnotic, melodic, comforting childhood tales that were so rich and unique in their visions and ideas. Think the Never Ending Story where a boy reads a tale that comes to life and a huge white flying furry dragon looking thing is his guide and the Labyrinth where Jennifer Connelly has to steal her baby brother back from an evil goblin king (appropriately portrayed by David Bowie). There were definitely some rad movies back in the 90s where as lately there's a lack of dark and inspiring children's movies.


Where the Wild Things Are is a throwback to the originality we children of the 90s were exposed to and I am so glad something of this calibre has been created.

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh the labyrinth! My favourite movie! Hardly anyone knows that beauty. Love your blog :)

    twocoathangers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete