Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the best news I've heard all week


So right after my post about Rachel Rutt yesterday I found out the most tantalising little piece of news and wanted to blog straight away but I held out until this morning, you know, just so that I could post on two separate days... Which is besides the point, anyway as I was flipping through some online news websites I discovered that my all time favourite TV series SKINS was being adapted to the silver screen.

As you can imagine I bounced around the kitchen in sheer delight while my mother continued to ask me why I was so excited about sports compression garments. I quickly informed her of the good news which did nothing to alleviate her puzzled expression. None the less, let me tell you why SKINS is the most awesome show ever.

You have seasons one and two which star About A Boy's Nicholas Holt and Slumdog Millionaire's Dev Patel and an array of other British actors who make up the cast. Each season focuses on the trials and tribulations of being young, horny, randy and crazy. You have the narcissistic borderline sociopathic genius as Tony (Holt), anorexic head case Cassie, clarinet playing uptight Jal, poorly informed on fashion wannabe chain smoker Michelle, Palistinian wannabe sex god Anwar (Patel), homosexual metrosexual dancing queen Maxxie and finally pill popping sweet as pie drop kick Chris. An eclectic mix to say the least. Its a show that throws in your face all sorts of controversial societal issues and is too addictive to stop watching.

Now introducing the third and fourth seasons starring Kaya Scodelario as the troubled Effy who dabbles in too many drugs and as a result of the combination of this and her crumbling family life, develops depression and tries to kill herself (apologies if you haven't got that far into the series yet). I won't go into the rest of the cast who are equally as important to the plot but for me Effy and Freddie are the modern day Sid and Nancy that are the hook line and sinker of the show. Freddie is your average pretty skater boy with mummy issues played by Luke Pasqualino. I could talk for years about how beautiful Freddie is but I'm sure if I just post a picture of him you'll soon see what I'm talking about.

Not to mention Kaya is also painfully beautiful, it makes it difficult to tear your eyes off the pair. Sigh.

The transition does pose a few questions for SKINS fans however. Who will be in it? The original cast? Who will write it? The original writers? Will they put big Hollywood faces in it? I personally think it should be a continuation of the final episode, but a couple of years later. I know it sounds horrible but I would love to see Effy regress into her old self, the new stable Effy isn't really doing it for me.

So, I think I've made my point. SKINS is epic and hopefully the movie doesn't bastardise the series. I've also found some amazing editorial shoots with Kaya...











And lets not forget old Lukey boy...

1 comment:

  1. Love Kaya, she is just so beautiful and effortlessly cool! Great blog, we'll definitely be back! Come follow TBAG if you fancy. x

    ReplyDelete